Saturday, May 20, 2006

Never as good as the book.


Art gallerys: Freak shows.
Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou in The Da Vinci Code.


Okay for those of you who have read the book, you'll be fine. It's too measured, too publicized and noisy to be cool and lively. For me, the novel's more entertaining and satisfying than the movie. Maybe because I loved solving the puzzles with the characters in the book than the movie itself. Also, the characters in the movie are not so good portraying their roles. I hate to say this but I find Audrey Tautou's aura blank. Tom Hanks looks plain ridiculous with the limp noodle hair to portray the world's renowned symbologist from Harvard. Yes, the issues are intriguing but not that thought-provoking...well maybe because it spoils you too much. Unlike the novel which somehow makes you think.

I have to give it to the cinematography though. As an art lover, I appreciated those locations like The Louvre, Saint Sulpice, The Temple Church, The Roslin Chapel etc. I think the Westminster Abbey in the movie is not the real Westminster Abbey. I've read something about not allowing the movie's production to include the Westminster Abbey's location in their repertoire due to the major religious issues brought by the book.

After seeing this one, I thought "Why would the MTRCB give this one an R-18?" Ito ba? ito ba ang pinagkakaguluhan ng mga obispo at kung sinu-sino man? Just plain fiction, it's just one of those Hollywood thrillers! Nothing more, nothing less. Natawa nalang ako. Well, that's another story. I'll give this one a 6/10 rating. That's it!

Au revoir.